Monday, January 18, 2010

Recent Diagnosis



Dear Fellow Bloggers,

I hate to make you aware of this, but I must be honest. I have recently diagnosed myself with a severe case of "Thick Head Syndrome", also known as THS or Dumb Blonde.

My prognosis depends on my ability to get something through my thick skull.

Apparently, I have been in denial regarding my recent weight loss surgery. After struggling with weight loss for at LEAST the last 20 years, it hasn't sunken in that I am actually going to lose weight. Me. I am. Lynn is not going to be "fluffy" forever.

Whenever my husband makes simple comments, such as "When you are down to 170 pounds, you are going to love shopping!", there is a small part of me that wants to smack him! How dare he just assume that it will be so easy to lose all this weight on my own. But then, I realize that I am not doing it alone. Not only do I have all of you, but I have my band!!! Dur.

My husband has faith in my journey, but I keep forgetting what path I am on. I am so used to going down the wrong road, that my THS keeps kicking in.

When is it going to sink in that I AM going to be successful? That I don't have to be this way forever? That I have been equipped with a wonderful tool to help me?

Do any of you suffer from THS?

9 comments:

Shrinking Mommy said...

i am right there with you. i live in a constant state of disbelief right now. sigh. if you find a cure, let me know!

Catherine55 said...

I had a hard time getting to that realization, too. In fact, I've held on to my size 14s because it's hard for me to believe that I'll never need them again. Maybe when I hit size 8, I'll keep the 10s and 12s and let the 14s go? :)

The Former Fat Girl said...

THS !! This has got to be one of the funniest post I've read in awhile !! And yes I too have suffered from this syndrome I must say !! it isn't until recently that I have been able to guilt-free been able to accept the compliments that I am getting..maybe when I get to the solid 100's somewhere I might start to actually feel like it's totally possible. the wii made a suggestion that for my height I should weight 123 for a BMI of 22 to be healthy...HA YEAH RIGHT ??!!! Damn there goes the THS again....

Anonymous said...

I am with you on this, I am having a hard time believing that I am going to hit my goal weight and stay there...what that has never happened!! I think it just takes some times and alot of pounds before it sinks in.

Jen from Oregon said...

You are not alone at all! It changes a bit for me (my belief) with every 10 lbs or so... But I still feel like I could fail at any given moment. Wonder when that will go away? if ever!

carla said...

SO freakin funny.

I suffer from this a LOT in one aspect of my life.
right down to the supportive husband piece as well...

MizFit

Colls said...

I suffer from THS, too! This weekend I was cleaning out my closet because we are moving next month and I wanted to donate old clothes to a collection in my neighborhood for Haiti. The idea of getting rid of my old summer clothes made me so nervous. Most of the clothes were tight and uncomfortable last summer and I thought to myself, what if I don't lose enough by this summer and could have fit into these?!?! I sat on the bed for a good half hour debating until I finally decided that not only will I NOT fit into them this summer, they would be huge by then. I think this is something that will get better with time as our confidence grows.

susieq4givn said...

Oh yeah...I so totally suffer from this. My hubby says similiar comments and I always am quick to say something back like you mean If I reach goal...or Yep, I hope I make my goal weight...I am having a hard time getting it to sink in that I WILL reach my goal.

Greta from www.bigbottomblogger.blogspot.com said...

As someone who has been standing in the way of my goal weight for several weeks....yeah, I "get" this! I need to hop out of my own darn way and get on with it! Thanks for the laugh and the insight!