Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I CANNOT BELIEVE IT

Well, it's official. I am scheduled for my surgery THIS Friday- the 28th of August. My very first visit was on the 4th of August. In 24 days I completed all of the paper work, lab work, radiology exams, psych evaluation, nutrition counseling, had my surgeon consultation, received approval from BCBS, went to the pre-op and then surgery. This has to be record time baby. Record time. This is quicker than going the Mexico route for sure.

I am still in shock. I woke-up this morning ready to settle in for a few months time while the process ran the course, but BAM! I heard that BCBS approved the surgery at 4:00pm and by 4:55 I was scheduled. I don't even know what to think. Luckily, my surgeon only requires one day of clear liquids- the day before surgery. (I just noticed I have hives. I must be more freaked out than I thought! I itch.)

I cancelled plans I had this evening and told my husband we were going out to eat- the "last supper" so to speak. I chose Outback. I am not sure why I chose Outback, but that was my choice. We settled in and ordered a Bloomin onion, dr. pepper, coke, salad, soup, bread, we each orderd a 16 oz. prime rib, I had steamed veggies and my hubby had fries. Words cannot explain the excitement I felt regarding my "last binge".

The blooming onion came- eh, it tasted pretty decent. My salad arrived- but the ranch dressing didn't taste the way I remembered. Then the prime rib, veggies and grilled shrimp. Veggies- yum. Prime rib- dry, tough and disgusting and it got sent back. The shrimp were pretty good. But all-in-all the dinner totally sucked. I had a brief moment were I couldn't help but feel greatly dissapointed about my "farewell" dinner. It was supposed to be supremely divine, an absolutely glorious memory to hold forever into eternity. Then it hit me.

The dinner sucked. My last BIG meal sucked. I was totally stuffed and grossed out by the whole experience. But, that was a good thing. I suddenly realized that my last memory of a huge meal was a bad one. Instead of going into surgery with the feeling that I won't ever be able to enjoy massive amounts of yummy food, I am going to realize that all that disgusting food left me feeling icky. It was NOT worth it. At all.

So, I feel like my sianora was a happy one after all. Farewell big meals full of ick. Hello small, healthy meals.

22 comments:

momma2fi said...

Wow - that is an 'aha' moment if I ever saw one! I had a last meal too - I chose Chipotle. It was certainly yummy, unlike yours. But I have to tell you that I have let myself have a couple splurges since the surgery, and was disappointed, just like you. They say the bland changes your taste buds, and it is true. It changes your eyes as well! Things that once looked good now look disgusting. All in all, you are already on the path!! FANTASTIC that you are having surgery so quickly. Hope you can wrap your head around it - Great news!

Unknown said...

Wow, congrats on the quickness! And I'm totally jealous that you didn't have 2 weeks of liquids. It will be over before you even have time to stress about it! I'm getting banded tomorrow, so I'll be a day ahead of you.

Anonymous said...

Wow--so quick?! I'm kinda nervous for you! That doesn't seem to give you a whole lot of time to get prepared mentally...Anyway, I wish you the very best!
Bethany

Michelle said...

I'm so happy for you! I wish you a healthy and speedy recovery!

Mary said...

That is amazing Lynn!! Im so excited for you! you are going to do great!!
My last supper was at Olive Garden with all the pasta and breadsticks and stuff I dont eat any more.
Well congrats girl!

Alexis said...

Oh my gosh! How exciting! Yay! You won't regret it at all! I can't wait to see all of your progress! My last supper was a trip to Vegas!!! Well...it had been planned well before the surgery, but it happen to be that the day after we got back I had to do TWO WEEKS of a clear liquid diet. You better be sure that I lived it up the entire time on vaca!

Keep us up to date with everything!

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

I am very glad your meal was crappy as well! We all need to have that "aha" moment, it's part of the process. And I'm so EXCITED they scheduled it soon, BCBS rocks!!! I have them as well and once I finally got all my crap together, they approved it in less than a week! All you need for recovery is a few days of pain meds and to be mentally strong!!!

Jess said...

Wow! I've been following your blog for awhile and I am soooo excited for you. Good luck! I can't wait to hear how everything goes and about your progress afterwards.

Liv said...

Awesome! Good luck, not that you need it but you know what I mean! Take care.

Irene said...

Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery...
irene

Nicole said...

congrats - so you got that Friday cancellation. rock on!!

i will definitely call you today and we can chat.

i've gotta call today to see if i can get a date sometime before October. let's hope so!

Fat Daddy said...

Good for you! I wish I could make the bloomin onion suck.

Good luck with all your prep and the surgery!

InWeighOverMyHead said...

I am so excited for you!!!!

Amy W. said...

I am excited AND nervous for you! Will you stay overnight? What is your post op like? Go to the store and stock up on everything. Email me if you have any questions! It feels like you just decided yesterday to get the band and you were worried how to pay for it...now look!

jennyr1222 said...

I am so excited for you Lynn!! Congratulations. Can't wait to hear about your experience. By the way, I had never had surgery before and like you was worried about the anesthesia. It was a total breeze!! And I am absolutely thrilled with what I've done. You'll be GREAT!!

xoxo,
Jen

Jamie said...

Good Luck hon! Your going to do great!!

Amanda said...

wow! Holy buckets.. that's FAST! Have you even had time to wrap your head around it?

I went to my free seminar at the beginning of July and it took me until APRIL to get my surgery. and I didn't even have to do any pre-testing besides the pscyh eval and nutritionist. BCBS approved me right away. Ha, what a difference.

Only one day of liquids? You lucked out. 2 weeks for a lot of us, lol.

I hope your surgery goes well!! Just remember when it's over.. and your stomach is sore and you think you'll never feel normal again or be able to use any stomach muscles comfortably again.. it WILL get back to normal, lol. :)

Brooke said...

Exciting!!!!!

My last meal sucked, too.

You'll be a star. A heating pad helps withe the gas pain and so does sleeping on your tummy.

meandmygizmo said...

Mine happened fast too and you are having surgery on my birthday!! I'm so excited for you!! ;-)

Catherine55 said...

Congratulations!! This is such great news. Also, I was anxious about never being able to eat a real meal again post-op. But, during Bandster Hell, I realized that if I ever really want to do this, all I have to do is get my band completely unfilled. Without a fill, I can eat just like I did before. Of course, I don't want to do that, so I'm not getting one! :)

Congratulations again on the surgery date! Only one day of pre-op diet is fantastic!

Catherine

Fat2Fit Chick said...

I just randomly ran across your blog tonight. I'm so excited that your surgery day is tomorrow. I'm 3 weeks and a day out from my gastric sleeve surgery. Our starting weight was the same and I'm 5'9". I lost 33 lbs.between my initial consultation and the morning of my surgery (less than 2 months). I'm officially down 56 lbs. now.

Oh, I also had a "Last Supper" of a Taco Salad from a Mexican restaurant. I only ate the insides, not the shell. Food just hasn't been the same since, but it's alright.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey.
= )

Be sure to drink LOTS of fluids! And walk, walk, walk!
Best wishes!

http://afat2fitjourney.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Congrats! I am so jealous. In my region, it is approx. a 6-9 month process to get the surgery.