Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pre-op Admission Testing and Pregnancy

Today I had to go to my pre-op appt. at the hospital where my procedure will be preformed. When I entered the main entrance, I approached the information desk and asked the man where I needed to go. He gave me directions and I was on my way. I couldn't help but notice all the babies around me as I neared my designation, but that all made sense once I entered the pre-op room. There on the wall was a sign that said: Obstetric Pre-op. Yup. Obstetric. The information dude thought I was pregnant. I guess it's a good thing I am having lap-band surgery. My embarassment doesn't end there.

On my way out, I had to take en elevator back down to ground level. There was a nurse in the elevator whom immediatly complimented me on my shirt. She then went on to ask me if I had the baby yet. Really? Baby? Can you not tell the difference between a FAT person and a pregnant person? In an effort to not embarass her- enough of that had already gone on today- I told her, yes the baby had already arrived. She then went on and enquired about gender and name....etc. I provided the correct information for my youngest. How's that for going out with a banb? That had NEVER happened to me before. But, I guess if it were going to happen, a hospital would be the right place.

Besides all of that, the testing went fine. I found out that my surgery was moved up from 2:00pm to 10:20am. So, that's good. Just rip that band-aid off.

I really don't know how anorexics or bandsters do it folks. I am so hungry I could seriously capture, kill and eat a small animal right about now. AND this is only my FIRST day of fluids! Any advice bandsters? Are there any secrets that I need to know? My mother is going to have to prepare dinner this evening because I don't know if I can remember not to test taste a noodle- eating is such a habit.

Well, here I go everybody. My next post will be about my surgery experience. I am so nervous, excited, scared, and cranky all rolled into one!

14 comments:

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Just wanted to wish you well. Even though that wasn't the route I took, I sincerely hope that it all goes perfectly for you.

Take care.

Amy W. said...

lol...I am laughing bc it has happened to so many of us! last time it happened to me I was teaching swim lessons and was in my swimsuit...and this little four year old boy asked me if I was pregnant. His mom was horrified.

The hunger during your liquids gets easier about day 3 or four and then comes back. You make it bc you have too!

I am so excited for you!

Brooke said...

Amy's right. I was so hungry for 3 days. Seriously hungry. And then, voila, I was fine.

When I asked my surgeon, just before surgery, if anyone was not able to do the liquid diet after surgery because they were physically unable to do it (hypoglycemia issues, etc) he said, "A lot of my patients use the words 'I'm staving' during pre-op' but it's kind of hard to say that and look in the mirror at the same time, because they're not starving and they know it. There are huge fat reserves they can and do draw on. Nobody starves."

He had a good point, I'll give 'em that :-)

meandmygizmo said...

I'm so excited for you! Can't wait to hear about your surgery.

I do recommend getting up out of that hospital bed as much as possible and walking ~ walking ~ walking and keep walking for several days after surgery to move that surgery gas out!

As for starving on pre-op liquids I was not starving. I drank protein drinks, had jello, broth, the liquid from canned soups, and lots of water. It was only 3 days for me and all went well.

See ya in a couple of days! Make sure you suck down those meds (it really was less painful then I expected).

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

I hope it's smooth sailin for you! And just incase you believe in it, I'll put out a little prayer for you as well!

Sean Anderson said...

I certainly wish you the absolute best.

In my prayers friend,

Sean

Kate Sermon said...

Masses of luck and love to you at this beginning point of a new adventure xx

Unknown said...

I'm really sorry that you had to go through the pregnant thing.... thats always embarrasing....
Good luck on the start of the BEST journey of your life!

carla said...

thinking about you.

wishing you luck.

missy said...

Hi! I'm new here but I just wanted to tell you that pregnancy comment has TOTALLY happened to me TWICE before. I'm so glad you are kinda laughing it off...I so couldn't. :)

Best of luck with your surgery!! I'll be visiting again to check up on you. I've enjoyed reading the last few posts very much. Nice to 'meet' you!

CL said...

i wish you the best!

momma2fi said...

Wishing you the best for surgery - you will do great! It is surprising once you have surgery how little you feel hungry. It has been 5 weeks for me now, and I think I have felt hungry less than 6 times. Post as soon as you can!

SeaShore said...

I hope you're doing well!

SeaShore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.